Since making my mental health a top priority, I have become more open to creating the life that I want instead of just floating through the life that was around me. The chaos that once was has dissipated and I no longer need to live with it.
Chaos is horrible. It sent me spinning in constant circles unable to find a way out. At one time I believed that I had to embrace the chaos but it only hindered me. The mindset of embracing the chaos did not work for me. I look back and see who I was and who I am now and the calm energy instead of chaos is far more beneficial.
How I have released the chaos:
- Opting for tea instead of alcohol. I am at peace and confident now with my decision to not drink alcohol.
- Medication for depression and talk therapy. It took me a long time to find the right medication and dose. I accept that I may have to change medication again over time and I pay very close attention to my thoughts and actions and am honest with myself. Therapy with the right therapist has done wonders for me.
- Camping, hiking, nature, and the outdoors. I am a weekend warrior that is outdoors at every opportunity. I take a lot of pride in passing my love of hiking and camping down to my daughter (stay tuned for a post about this past weekend).
- Reading. In January my goal for 2017 was to read twelve books. I passed that goal in June. With the move to our new house, reading took a backseat and I have slowed considerably, trying to make my way through one book for the last two months. Last night I cracked open my Kindle and read until my eyes became droopy.
- Moving to an area of the city that has a quiet energy. My new home has an abundance of sunshine flowing through the windows, green space and a pond, and bike and walking trails. It is paradise.
- Yoga. I practice daily whether it is a 45 minute session in the “quiet room” or a few minutes at work for a good stretch. Yes, I may look like a weirdo at my desk in Warrior pose but I am content and releasing the chaos. I am also making an effort to do an Instagram challenge to keep me motivated @backpackchronicles
It is inevitable that there will always be chaos around me and I am one who can roll with the punches and change. I choose calm energy instead with situations that I can influence in my day to day life. Release the chaos and embrace the calm energy.